The course is designed to last for 18 months. The programme is divided into four terms-three terms of academic studies and one term of dissertation. The academic terms last for 10 weeks each, totalling to 30 weeks. The course allots 12 weeks to the students for drafting and submitting a research dissertation.The students are taught in a blended way of classes at the Berlin campus and online modules. This gives them sufficient time for pursuing, internships, projects, or extra-curricular activities. There is sufficient gap between two terms to allow the students to take a break.The course intake happens twice a year- in February and in October.The entry requirements for the course have been divided into three categories—age, academic qualifications, and English language proficiency. The entry criteria for these categories are given below.
The course covers important concepts of maritime and shipping management which include international sea laws, port and cargo operations, marine insurance, and chartering. You will also learn management theories and their application in real-time maritime and shipping. You also have the chance to learn German as a part of the curriculum.Here are the particulars of all the subjects covered in the three academic terms.
- Age: The individuals applying for the course should at least be 21 years of age.
- Academic qualifications: The course needs a minimum qualification of a three year bachelor’s degree in a related discipline from a recognised institution. People who don’t have a Bachelor’s degree, can apply as well. They would have to appear for an entrance test and an interview.
- English language proficiency: Individuals need a minimum IELTS score of 6.0 with a minimum of 5.5 in each section, or a PTE score of 50 or equivalent. The proficiency criteria is waived off in case of
- Native English speakers
- Applicants who have completed their education in English
- Applicants who have completed their undergraduate degree in an English speaking country.
BSBI has set a course fee of € 7,000 or ₹ 5, 53,966 for the master’s degree in maritime and shipping management for European students. The price for international students is set at € 13,250 or ₹ 10,48,578.There are partial scholarships available for international students. The extent of scholarship coverage depends on the academic qualifications of the student. You can contact a programme advisor for more details.
- Principles of Maritime and shipping management: This subject provides the basics of the shipping industry. It deals with the description of different parts of the ship, the different types of ships, their tonnage and load lines, their operations and economics in running them, the nautical and shipping terminology, the legal system and laws associated with the shipping industry, robotics involved in the shipping management, and the rules and regulations of the International Maritime Organisation.
- International Law of the sea: This subject comprises of the rules and regulations governing the usage of domestic and international seas, including their resources and environment. It deals with the international laws and treaties established between different countries and international bodies to settle maritime disputes. It covers the right, freedoms, and obligation to be followed by all organisations in territorial seas and high seas.
- Marine Geography and Oceanography: This subject deals with the study of the physical and chemical characteristics of the sea water and a holistic study of the maritime biology. It also covers study of different marine resources, their sustainable protection, and the laws governing their usage.
- Port and Ship Cargo operations and management: This module is specifically designed for students to gain a thorough knowledge of the shipping operations and the management of their cargo and parts. The students are also taught the key functions involved in shipping management, management and maintenance of commercial, operational, technical, crewing, and trawling ships. The subject also covers the finance and administration involved with running, maintaining, and docking the ships.
- The Law of Carriage of Goods by Sea: This module deals with all the rules and regulations involved with the transport and trading of all kinds of cargo and goods between two or more countries. This subject covers all the major trade and maritime agreements signed between different countries in the world. It also covers the rules and regulations of the way certain cargo should by transported across the ocean.
- Marine Insurance: This module covers the different types of losses or damages of ships, cargo, terminals, or other maritime carriers. It also covers the description and rules and regulations dealing with marine liabilities, marine casualties, and shipping damages. The students learn which damages are coverable by insurance, which type of insurance covers the damages, and the extent of insurance coverages.
- Chartering: This course covers the different types of chartering or contracting possible, the parties involved in various chartering contracts, and the rules and regulations binding such contracts.
- Marine environment and Pollution: The module deals with the different types of marine environments, their physical, chemical, and biological compositions, the biodiversity residing in them, and the adverse effects of pollution on these environments. The course also focuses on the sustainable pollution and damage control and systemic changes to battle the adverse effects of maritime pollution.
- Leadership Development Programme: This module is offered in association with the London School of Business and Finance. It covers the various management techniques required to succeed in the maritime industry. It also focuses on boosting your leadership and communication skills and the management theories that are apt for the shipping industry.
- Research methods and Dissertation: The students also have to submit a fully researched dissertation on any maritime industry problem of their choices. It is vital to not that the solution should be unique, practical, and evidence-based.
Who should apply for an MBA in shipping and maritime management?
If you have a keen interest in learning about the shipping industry or want to work in an international setup, an MBA in shipping management is apt for you. You should also be interested in pursuing a management career for applying to this course. The course I also perfect for those who are interested in pursuing a career at the sea.
Why should you apply for an MBA in shipping and maritime management?
The MBA in shipping management by BSBI is designed to offer specific skill sets and expertise to the students to become successful managers and leaders of the maritime and shipping industry. In addition, you get other advantages that are given below.
You gain a business degree that will guarantee you overseas jobs in a wide range of allied industries such as marine science, maritime operations and the merchant navy.
You join an international and extended network of students, BSBI alumni, and maritime professionals who can provide you an opportunity to pursue a managerial career overseas.
The classes are conducted at the BSBI campus in Berlin, which is a beautiful city and one of the most popular cities in Europe for international students.
You get an exclusive opportunity to attend the London School of Business Finance Executive Education courses (LSBF EE). These courses help you learn the essential leadership skills required for becoming a good manager.
Scope and future of the course
After completion of the course, graduates will be able to
Exhibit expertise and provide solutions to the problems in the fields of shipping management, maritime policies, and shipping operations.
Effectively handle the management of shipping companies.
Provide solutions to problems of International oceanic laws, coastal jurisdictions, and navigation legalities.
Identify the challenges and opportunities involved in the maritime and shipping management.
The graduates will also be able to understand and implement appropriate strategies in shipping management. The career opportunities of this course are massive. The course imparts transferrable skills to the graduates that helps them pursue a career in many domains such as international trade and commerce, logistics, maritime insurance, shipping economics, port management, dockyard management, and shipping laws.
Career prospects after pursuing the course
MBA in maritime management graduates have a lot of opportunities in any industry associated with the marine landscape or shipping and logistics. The following job positions are open to the graduates.
Port Manager: This position involves the management of operations and the logistics of a port. It requires a detailed understanding of the various types of ships in a port, the type of cargo handling at a port, and the port rules and regulations.
Merchant officer: This position in merchant navy involves the strategic management of different trading decisions, management and handling of cargo, and communication with different trading organisations. It requires diplomatic communication skills, knowledge of international trade regulations, and maritime agreements between various nations.
Shipping manager: A shipping manager in a logistics company is in charge of the handling and movement of different cargos and goods from one port to another. The position requires detailed knowledge of docking policies, management strategies, and good communication skills.
Yard manager: A yard manager is in charge of the entire management and maintenance of a dockyard. This job requires a fair amount of physical agility, patience, good communication skills, and a detailed knowledge of docking policies and shipping components.
Apart from these jobs, the graduates can also pursue their careers as planning and development officers of a shipping company, shipping operations managers, imports and exports managers, maritime environment officers and port planning officers.
The graduates who want to pursue an academic career can do a Ph.D. in management or marine science and work as professors in various universities.Checkout 1/3Total: £Discount: £Bundle Discount: £Sub Total: £Choose Exam Dates and Additional MaterialsAdd Billing DetailsSelect Payment MethodSelect Payment Method